Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan, the president of Sudan’s Transitional Sovereign Council, accused some political groups of attempting to distract public opinion by “causing issues” with the armed forces and rapid support on Monday.
There are also “attempts to exclude the military forces from the transitional scene,” he said. According to a statement released by the council, he told non-commissioned officers and soldiers of the Bahri Military District, Monday, that “the armed forces would safeguard the transitional phase until free and fair elections are attained.”
He also emphasized the importance of reaching a national consensus and broadening involvement by incorporating all revolutionary and national forces, except for the defunct National Congress Party.
He emphasized that the security and military services’ leadership “is not a venue for political bidding” and would not be bound by present quotas.
Al-Burhan also congratulated members of the Armed Forces and Rapid Support Forces, appreciating the enormous sacrifices they make despite the difficult circumstances the nation is facing.
Al-Burhan met with Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok, Sunday, to resolve differences that have existed for some time between the military and civilian components of the transitional authority that has been running the country since the overthrow of ousted President Omar Al-regime, Bashir’s and to calm the crisis in eastern Sudan, but the meeting did not reach effective solutions, according to sources.
Tensions between the two sides have been rising since last month, particularly following the September 21 failed coup attempt.
While both sides took turns blaming one other for the country’s security, economic, and living circumstances, some political parties, including the Sudanese Professionals Association, accused the military of attempting to seize power.
The military and the Sovereignty Council denied repeatedly, stressing that the transitional authority would be handed over after the elections.