The “Yemeni-Yemeni” consultations under the auspices of the GCC began in the Saudi capital, Riyadh last week.
The UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg expressed his optimism over these talks to reach a peace agreement.
Hans Grundberg said he hoped the Yemeni consultations in Riyadh would “push the warring parties to the negotiating table to reach a comprehensive political solution.”
He added that the great losses that Yemen has incurred cannot be counted because of the political division and the economy that has been damaged.
He stressed that Yemen needs support from its neighbors to access services and energy sources.
“The Riyadh talks will help increase the momentum for a solution, dialogue, and commitment to bring a solution to this conflict and crisis,” he added.
The US envoy to Yemen, Tim Lenderking, called for a permanent solution to the conflict in Yemen, and an increase in emergency humanitarian aid to one billion dollars, to alleviate the suffering of Yemenis.
He said that the Riyadh consultations “are an expression of a regional and international commitment to end the Yemeni conflict”.
Meanwhile, the Secretary-General of the GCC, Nayef Falah Mubarak Al-Hajraf, said that “there is no solution except what the people of Yemen decide, and there is no future except what the people of Yemen decide,”.
In a statement, on Wednesday, the spokesman for the Secretary-General of the UN, Stephane Dujarric, urged all parties to “build on these positive developments, which coincide with the start of the holy month of Ramadan.”
He expressed his hope that this development would create momentum to end the violence completely, advance the peace process in Yemen, and alleviate the suffering of Yemenis.
He also called on the parties to take advantage of this opportunity to “engage positively and without preconditions” with UN Special Envoy Hans Grundberg and his efforts to mediate for a comprehensive negotiated settlement to the conflict in Yemen.
Last week, the Arab coalition in Yemen announced the cessation of military operations inside Yemen to ensure the success of the “Yemeni-Yemeni” consultations.
The Houthi group announced on Saturday a 3-day truce, including the suspension of attacks against Saudi Arabia and offensive operations inside Yemen.