“Saudi Arabia’s policy is straightforward in supporting a negotiated settlement in Yemen,” said Anthony Blinken, US Secretary of State.
Blinken emphasized that finding a comprehensive solution to the conflict in Yemen is America’s top priority. He pledged to continue to work with partners and allies to bring peace to Yemen: “America appreciates the Yemeni government’s commitment to finding a peaceful solution in the country.”
Earlier on Sunday, the European Union announced support for Riyadh’s efforts to find a political answer. Saudi Foreign Minister, Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah, had already declared on 22 March a new peace plan to end the Yemeni war. He explained the Saudi initiative includes a ceasefire throughout the country under the supervision of the United Nations.
The Saudi-led coalition would ease the blockade of Hodeidah port, and tax revenues will go to a joint bank account with the central bank. Additionally, it would allow Sanaa airport to reopen to a limited number of direct regional and international destinations.
The lead won broad Arab and international support, including the United Nations. Farhan Haq, the organization’s spokesman, said it applauds Saudi Arabia’s initiative, which is in line with UN efforts.