A spokesman for the Taliban told AFP that the attacks carried out by ISIS in Afghanistan should stop with the departure of US forces from the country, otherwise the new government will suppress the organization.
“We hope that Afghans who are under the influence of ISIS will abandon their operations when they see the establishment of an Islamic government in the absence of any foreign powers,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid added.
The organization “ISIS Khorasan”, which has been carrying out bloody attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan for several years, claimed the attack on Thursday, the Kabul airport, where thousands of people are gathering in the hope of leaving the country after the Taliban took control of it on August 15, and the organization also claimed the missile attack on the airport Kabul Monday.
The spokesman, whose movement pledged to bring peace when it took power two decades after the overthrow of its regime, warned that “if they provoke a state of war and continue their operations, the Islamic government will take over.”
The Pentagon spokesman, John Kirby, announced on Monday that the threat to Kabul airport is still “real” and “identified”, on the eve of the completion of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
“We are now in a particularly dangerous period,” Kirby said, at the Pentagon’s daily press briefing. “The threat is still real and in many cases, it is still specific.”
He added, “We will continue to protect the evacuations from Afghanistan,” noting that Washington “will not disclose the military equipment used in this regard.” “We will continue to respond to threats in Afghanistan quickly and forcefully,” he said.
US Army Major General Hank Taylor said that more than 122,000 people have been evacuated from Kabul so far, including 5,400 Americans.
The United States is scheduled to complete the withdrawal of its forces from Afghanistan, on Tuesday.