US President Joe Biden hailed the news by the UN on Tuesday that the UN-brokered truce in Yemen will be extended. The UN extends the cease-fire in Yemen for another two months.
In a statement issued by the White House, Biden stated that the truce was a “primary focus” during his visit to Saudi Arabia last month, adding that “this 5-month-old agreement has delivered a period of unparalleled peace in Yemen, saved thousands of lives, and offered genuine comfort to countless others.”
“King Salman bin Abdulaziz and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman have assured me of their entire commitment to prolonging the truce, and I appreciate them for that,” the US president added.
Biden said that the truce extension is “an important and crucial move to preserve lives,” he added that it “is not adequate in the long run.”
“The UN will continue to support efforts to achieve peace in Yemen,” Biden stated.
The truce was extended on the same day that the US agreed to supply Patriot missiles to Saudi Arabia.
When asked if there was a link between the two, White House spokesperson Karen Jean-Pierre declined to comment.
It is worth noting that earlier on Tuesday, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Hans Grundberg, said that the two parties in Yemen’s conflict had agreed to prolong the ceasefire on the same conditions for another two months, from August 2 to October 2.
According to the UN website, “the extension includes a commitment by the two sides to accelerate discussions to conclude an enlarged armistice agreement as soon as feasible.”