Politics & News

Wagner’s commander orders his fighters to return to their bases to avoid bloodshed

The head of the Russian private military group Wagner, Yevgeny Prigozhin, said on Saturday that he had ordered his fighters, who were advancing on Moscow, to return to their bases to avoid bloodshed.

 

Reuters quoted Wagner’s commander as saying that the group’s fighters had advanced 200 km towards Moscow during the past 24 hours.

And the Belarusian presidency had announced the approval of Wagner’s commander of “an agreement that guarantees Wagner’s fighters’ safety, which is up for discussion.”

It said its boss, Lukashenko, had spoken with Wagner and agreed with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

A source close to the leadership of the Russian-controlled part of the Ukrainian Donetsk region revealed earlier that a convoy of fighters from the Wagner Special Military Group was approaching Moscow’s outskirts.

The source stated that the convoy included about five thousand men, led by the group’s senior commander, Dmitry Utkin.

He added that Wagner’s chief had fewer than 25,000 men at his disposal and that about 5,000 of them were in Rostov in the south of the country, a city that Prigozhin said he had captured and was of significant importance to Russia’s war supplies in Ukraine.

This comes when Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin said the situation was “difficult” in the Russian capital, declaring Monday a holiday to limit movement.

According to Sobyanin, “the situation is difficult… and to mitigate the risks (…) I decided to declare Monday a day off” except for some municipal activities and services.

He called on residents of the capital to “limit as much as possible” their movements in the city, pointing out that traffic “may be prohibited” on some roads and in some neighborhoods.

 

Short link :

Related Stories

Back to top button