Politics & News

Saudi Arabia strongly condemns the criminal attack in DR Congo

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has expressed its strong condemnation of the criminal attack that took place in the Rutshuru eastern region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) and resulted in the deaths of dozens of people. 

The Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs – according to a statement reported by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on Monday – expressed the Kingdom’s total rejection of all forms of violence and terrorism that contradict religious, moral, and human principles and values. 

The Ministry affirmed Saudi Arabia’s stand and solidarity with the government and people of the DR Congo in this great affliction, and extends its sincere condolences and sympathy to the families of the deceased, with its sincere wishes for the injured for a speedy recovery. 

Many human rights figures and organizations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo expressed their “shock” at the army’s announcement that fifty civilians had been killed in the east of the country in an attack by the “M23” movement. 

The rebel movement denied being responsible for the attack and for violating the ceasefire reached at the Luanda Summit on November 23. 

The attack occurred at a time when the truce was still in effect on Tuesday, violent clashes took place between the rebels of the “M23” movement, March 23, and militias in the town of Kishi, about 70 kilometers north of Goma, the capital of North Kivu province. 

On Wednesday, Agence France-Presse collected on the phone testimonies from residents who spoke of a large number of civilian deaths. 

“Indiscriminate revenge attacks took place,” said government spokesman Patrick Muyaya, after the army published a statement accusing the “M23” movement of “cowardly killing” 50 people. 

The UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) said it was “shocked” and “condemned these horrific acts,” calling on “the competent authorities to investigate without delay,” adding, “The case has been referred to our joint human rights office and is ready to contribute to these efforts.” 

The US Chargé d’Affairs Stephanie Maile and the EU Ambassador Jean-Marc Chatenier considered Thursday on Twitter that what happened could amount to “war crimes”. 

Short link :

Related Stories

Back to top button